Big Dance Pledge 2016 - 5 January to 20 May
In the 10th and final year of Big Dance, the UK’s biggest celebration of dance and dancing, People Dancing and the Mayor of London were delighted to announce that the Big Dance Pledge for 2016 would be created by Akram Khan.
The Big Dance Pledge is an opportunity for dance practitioners and enthusiasts to take part in a unifying performance and creative process with other groups across the globe. In 2016, they were all united by Akram Khan’s stunning choreography and a haunting, specially created music track by long standing collaborator Nitin Sawhney.
- From 5 January 2016, register for free access to the choreographic resources - films, music track and written guides.
- Use them with your dance group, friends or colleagues to:
- Learn the 3-minute dance, or
- Explore creative ideas and develop your own choreography inspired by
Akram Khan and using Nitin Sawhney's music track
- Perform on 20 May 2016 at 1pm or 7pm local time, as part of a series of performances across the world connecting you to thousands of other dancers, or on any other date to suit you.
Akram Khan’s work is recognised around the world for its collaboration and reflection of combined cultural influences and includes his unforgettable work on the London 2012
Olympic Games Opening Ceremony.
The Big Dance Pledge has seen over 350,000 people dancing its choreographies in over 50 countries. Bringing Akram's work to Big Dance presents an opportunity to be part of an extraordinary celebration of people of all ages, abilities and experiences dancing together.
Akram chose the themes of ‘overcoming adversity’ and ‘achievement’ to create the work and urged all those taking part to tell their own stories and reflect their own situations. Hear more from Akram on his vision for Big Dance: