Friday 28 July 2017
Dance for people living with cancer
led by Sue Smith
Course length: one day
This one-day course will provide community dance practitioners with the opportunity to gain confidence, skills and knowledge to enable them to work effectively with people with cancer.
Course content includes:
- Basic medical information about the issues affecting those people who are or have received treatment for cancer – fatigue, radiation therapies, chemotherapies, scarring, stiffness, restricted movement
- Provide references to background research that supports the value of dance for people affected by cancer
- Contexts for engagement – hospital settings, cancer support groups, early on-set groups, local community practice
- Building partnerships to develop practice opportunities – support groups, hospitals, MacMillan nurses
- Discuss the importance of effective communication with dance participants
- Explore adaption techniques in relation to dance practice.