You are here:> Home > Membership & Insurance > Insurance

Insurance benefits included in Professional Individual Membership

These insurances have been arranged by specialist brokers Marsh Sport (previously Bluefin Sport) who are one of the leading providers to the sports and leisure industry. Marsh Sport demonstrate their knowledge and expertise working with a large number of National Governing Bodies, such as The FA and The British Wheel of Yoga. For more information visit:

As part of Professional Individual Membership you automatically receive the benefit of Combined Liability insurance. In simple terms, Combined Liability insurance will cover:

  • Public & Products Liability of up to £10m

    Including indemnity for claims in respect of any civil liability, negligent act, error or omission incurred in the course of your activities, e.g. injury, or damage to third party property, for both in-person and digital work
  • Professional Indemnity of up to £2m

    Protection for claims made which allege that a third party has suffered financial loss e.g. breach of contract, or giving incorrect professional advice
  • Personal Accident

    Cover for injury sustained by the Professional Individual Member whilst partaking in People Dancing recognised activities
  • Legal helpline

    Available 24/7 for specialist UK advice covering Employment Law, Health & Safety, Taxation and VAT
  • Employers Liability up to £10m

    In respect of claims made for injuries caused to an employee/volunteer arising out of and in the course of their employment. Please see information further down the page
  • Equipment cover up to £500

    All risks cover teaching equipment including laptops and tablets. Mobile phones are excluded
  • Public Liability of up to £10m in respect of professional performances

    For earnings from commercial performances up to £15k per annum
  • Pilates Cover

    For occasional work, included as standard for Professional Individual Members and offered on the basis that: this work is not the full time or main focus of your dance work and if asked, you are able to demonstrate the appropriate level of skill and training.

Cover includes dance teaching/leading work either in person or online such as; virtual, live, pre-recorded classes (subject to the usual risk assessments and general conditions of the policy).

To see the main terms and conditions that apply, please refer to the Combined Liability Evidence of Cover sample 2022 to 2023 document below.

Please also see the FAQ's further down the page containing more information concerning insurance. If your question is not listed within the FAQ's, or you would like to discuss your specific requirements, please contact our insurance broker Natalie Wale, Marsh Sport on 0345 872 5060.

Cover exclusions

Insurance benefits can be provided for any recognised activity of People Dancing. Some specific exclusions are:

  • Yoga
  • Martial arts (inc. Capoeira)
  • Aerobics
  • Acrodance
  • Trapeze
  • Aerial work
  • Pole dancing
  • Stunting
  • Gymnastics
  • Zumba with weights
  • Aqua Zumba.

Full time practice of Dance Movement Therapy (DMT) - where this is the main focus of your work - is beyond the scope of cover.

From 1 April 2021 the policy - with the exception of the Employers Liability element - has a Communicable Disease Exclusion, as is now industry standard following Covid-19, worded as follows:

  • It is understood and agreed that this policy does not cover any loss caused directly or indirectly, contributed to by or attributable to a Communicable Disease or fear or threat of a Communicable Disease
  • Communicable Disease means any disease capable of being transmitted from an infected person or species to a susceptible host, either directly or indirectly.

If you are concerned that your planned work may fall within any of the above categories, please refer to People Dancing for clarification. Contact us by phone on 0116 253 3453, Mon-Fri, 10am-5pm or email

Requirements for online teaching/workshop sessions

From 1 April 2021 it is a condition of the Public and Products Liability insurance provided that the Insured (Professional Individual Members of People Dancing) must ensure the following:

  1. Before any online session (live or pre-recorded) commences, the insured must state that all participants are participating at their own risk
  2. All participants must have adequate and non-slip floor space before taking part in the session
  3. All participants have confirmed that they have no current medical conditions or existing injuries which would prohibit them from taking part in the session
  4. A written record and/or video recording of the session must be retained by the Insured for three years.

Employers' Liability cover

Employer's Liability cover of up to £10m is included as standard for Professional Individual Members. If you employ people, you are required by law to have Employers' Liability insurance. However, people you normally think of as self-employed and/or volunteers may be considered as your employees for the purpose of Employers' Liability cover. What matters is the nature of your 'real' relationship with the people that work for you. The people that work for you require protection in the workplace for circumstances that may lead to a claim being made against you in your capacity as 'employer'. From relatives helping out as volunteers to dance teachers leading classes, adequate protection should be in place.

In general, you may need Employers' Liability insurance for someone who works for you if any of the following applies:

  • You control or manage where and when they work and how they do it
  • You supply most materials and equipment
  • You have the right to any profit your workers make, although you may choose to share this with them. Similarly, you will be responsible for any losses
  • You deduct National Insurance and income tax from the money you pay them.


We recommend that you check the detail of any contractual arrangement and consult a legal advisor for any employment advice. Professional Individual Members receive the benefit of a 24 hour legal helpline through Markel on: 0345 458 6810.

    Insurance benefits FAQ's

    If your question is not listed here or you would like to discuss your specific requirements, please contact our insurance brokers, Bluefin Sport on T: 0345 872 5060 or E:

    1. Are 'substitutions' automatically covered if I am ill/on holiday?
    No, any person who will be taking classes/sessions/courses in your absence should have a policy in their own name to protect them against claims for negligence whilst providing coaching/tuition/advice.

    2. What does annual turnover mean?
    Annual Turnover is what you earn from your dance work each year before you pay out for anything such as hall hire, wages, rent etc.

    3. What is the total amount (turnover) I can earn from dancing?
    Firstly, turnover is the total amount of income you receive from dance activities, whether that is teaching, performance work or other related activities. The most you can earn and still be covered by the insurance is £50,000 per annum. Out of the £50,000 the maximum you can earn from professional performances is £15,000.

    4. Does this insurance cover me for my Somatics and Mind Body Centring work?
    Yes, providing you adhere to the People Dancing Professional Code of Conduct.

    5. Does this insurance cover me for my Pilates work?
    Yes, providing you adhere to the People Dancing Professional Code of Conduct.

    6. Is Employers' Liability cover for those engaging employees, assistants, volunteers and/or other artists on an occasional basis, such as helping out with a project, performance or workshop?
    Yes. This is included as standard.

    7. Will this cover me for the musical theatre class I run at the weekends?
    If the class is part of your regular dance work then yes. If you are teaching musical theatre exclusively then no.

    8. Will it cover my group dance performance?
    Yes, where this performance is specifically related to your dance work, for example a regular class or workshop that culminates in a performance.

    9. Will I be covered for my paid professional performances?
    Yes, subject to your turnover from this specific activity not exceeding £15,000 per annum.

    10. Can I join on the scheme later in the year as I don't need insurance yet?

    Yes certainly. There are four periods of joining, please see the membership/joining page for further info on this. All Professional Individual Memberships will be due for renewal by 31 March each year.

    11. Will this insurance cover me for teaching dance in Europe or the rest of the world?
    Yes, the protection does cover you for teaching worldwide. However, the applicable courts covered under the policy excludes USA/Canada, meaning claims cannot be brought in these courts. All Employers Liability claims must be brought in the United Kingdom, The Isle of Man and The Channel Islands.

    12. Does this insurance cover me for teaching Zumba?
    Yes, as long as it's clear that the cover for Zumba dance work excludes cover for aerobics and/or any Zumba work with weights.

    13. What is the extent of the Liability cover?
    The Liability cover provides insurance for legal liability following Negligence / Nuisance / Trespass. Unlike other liability insurances, it not only covers Public Liability (where you are liable for injury or damage to other persons or their property), but also includes cover for the following which are excluded from other providers standard covers:

    • Professional Indemnity for injury following advice (e.g. during coaching / instruction)
    • Libel and Slander Liability following something you might have said or written down (including web sites/emails etc.)

    14. I have a couple of teachers working with me, does this insurance cover them too?
    No. Liability protection covers the named individual only. Your teachers would each need their own insurance. However if you are a limited company with those teachers in your employment, please refer to our brokers, Bluefin Sport for advice on a suitable policy.

    15. Am I covered in ‘team teach’ classes?
    You are covered if both/all teachers are insured for their dance work. If the teacher you are working with doesn’t have cover, then you would be covered for your actions but they will not be covered.

    16. Does this insurance include buildings and contents cover?
    No. Please refer to our brokers, Marsh Sport for advice in respect of buildings insurance.

    17. Am I covered for any personal equipment used during my work?

    Yes, from 1 April 2019 your membership insurance will extend to include personal equipment used in connection with your work up to £500. Cover will be on an “all risks” basis anywhere in the UK. Cover extends to include laptops and tablets, however, mobile phones are not covered under the personal equipment cover.

    18. Does the Personal Accident cover insure me for loss of earnings?

    Specific injuries are covered by the Personal Accident policy, and a benefit is payable should you suffer such an injury. A temporary total disablement benefit is provided if you are not able to undertake your People Dancing recognised/authorised work due to this injury.

    19. I paid for membership with insurance but I no longer need it, can I get my money back or a refund?
    Refunds are not offered for any membership with People Dancing. This is detailed in our Terms and Conditions.

    20. Is it possible to arrange short term insurance cover through Professional Individual Membership?

    No. People Dancing offers insurance as a benefit of membership and therefore it runs for the duration of membership.

    21. Does the insurance cover include medical expenses?

    Subject to a successful claim being made against you for which cover is provided, the intention of the policy would be that medical expenses incurred by the claimant/injured party (as determined within the settlement of the claim) are included. As this is a liability policy, your own medical expenses would not be included within the cover. In addition to the Liability cover provided, a Personal Accident policy is included for members. This provides benefits for particular injuries YOU may suffer whilst undertaking the recognised/authorised activities of People Dancing.

    22. Is there a 'cooling off' period for the scheme?
    No. People Dancing offers insurance protection through insurance brokers, Bluefin Sport as a benefit of membership. People Dancing are not regulated brokers selling insurance.

    23. How do I make a claim?
    Please contact Bluefin Sport directly on either:-
    T: 0345 872 5060
    Bluefin Sport will handle the claim from start to finish to ensure the claim is handled correctly.

    24. I have more specific questions about the policy and cover. Who should I speak to?
    Please contact Marsh Sport for all insurance related enquires as People Dancing are not authorised to provide any insurance related advice.
    T: 0345 872 5060

    If you have any questions relating to the disciplines and activities that are covered by the People Dancing insurance policy, please contact People Dancing directly, and they will answer any technical queries.